Southport Light Station Museum
Focus of Kenosha's Lighthouse and Maritime Heritage Museum
Kenosha's newest museum, the Southport Light Station Museum, consists of the 1866 Southport lighthouse and the 1867 Lighthouse Keeper's residence. The lighthouse tower, former lightkeeper's residence and surrounding grounds represent the fourth gallery space of the Kenosha History Center. The Kenosha History Center, located just below the hill from the Light Station, leases the buildings and grounds from the City of Kenosha. The Kenosha History Center undertook restoraton of the Keeper's residence in order to preserve the history of local light keepers and Kenosha's fishing and shipping heritage. The lighthouse was previously restored and is open weekends from May through October each year. Click here for times and dates the tower will be open in 2013. The Lighthouse Keeper's Dwelling has been in various stages of restoration since 2001 and the first floor exhibits opened in May, 2010 with the installation of new exhibits. Restoration continued through 2011 and 2012. Two additional rooms opened on the second floor for the 2012 season, including a room on the restoration of the building and a recreation of what the lighthouse keeper's bedroom and office might have looked like. The final three rooms on the second floor are scheduled to open in 2013.
The exterior of the Lighthouse Keeper's Dwelling has been restored to a 1908 time period. The 1908 time period was chosen since several building additions were in existence by that period and historic photos from this period substantiated details necessary to carry out the building's restoration. The museum is open to the general public from mid-May through the end of October. Click here to learn more about the restoration.
Contact us for more info